Special Projects Estimator - HVAC
ColonialWebb is seeking an experienced and talented Special Projects Estimator for Mechanical & Plumbing projects. Join our winning team and use your advanced understanding of engineering and construction to help us “Bring Buildings to Life!”
ColonialWebb is one of the largest commercial, mechanical, and electrical contractors in the South Atlantic region. We proudly serve clients from local small businesses to Fortune 500 companies. For nearly 50 years, our presence has been alive across Virginia, the Carolinas, DC/Maryland, and several surrounding states. We specialize in New Construction, Mechanical Service, Industrial Refrigeration, Special Projects and Manufacturing.
We continuously seek individuals who want to invest in themselves and their teammates
A Special Projects Estimator provides support for the company’s Special Projects estimating department focusing on the Mechanical and Plumbing work throughout Central Virginia. The role acts as a key company representative working in conjunction with the Special Projects sales team to provide cost effective and efficient estimates for opportunities with new and existing clients, and therefore provide a steady, lucrative work flow for the Special Projects business.
- This position is based out of our corporate office in Richmond, VA.
- Office Address: 2820 Ackley Avenue Richmond, VA 23228
- Prepare cost estimates for both plan and spec and conceptual design build style projects.
- Prepare cost estimates for HVAC, sheet metal duct systems, plumbing and piping systems.
- Account for labor, material, equipment, subcontractors, and other direct costs within estimates.
- Face to face interactions with clients to conceptualize and coordinate solutions to challenges our clients face, communicating effective solutions on a big picture as well as a technical level.
- Must be able to coordinate effectively with vendors and sub-contractors to provide relevant conceptual information so detailed scopes of work can be documented and executed.
- Prepare and augment conceptual drawings for design build style work.
- Take-off material and provide accurate quantity surveys. Adjust labor production factors based on the degree of difficulty.
- Coordinate with subcontractors and suppliers to ensure accurate and competitive pricing.
- Prepare conceptual estimates to support budget proposals.
- Develop value engineering options that reduce costs and enhance the quality of work performed.
- Support sales team and other department personnel as needed.
- Work safely, encourages others to do so, and comply with applicable health and safety related rules, regulations, and procedures.
Knowledge, Skill, and Abilities
- Bachelor s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or 7 year’s minimum experience working for a Mechanical contractor.
- Ability to produce conceptual estimates for design-build and design-assist mechanical construction projects.
- Advanced understanding of mechanical systems, equipment, drawings, and specifications.
- Ability to have Face to face interactions with clients to conceptualize and coordinate solutions to challenges our clients face, communicating effective solutions on a big picture as well as a technical level.
- Knowledge of building materials, engineering standards, and codes.
- Experience producing cost estimates for fully operational mechanical systems while working off rough drawings.
- Demonstrated skills, experience and proficiency with Microsoft Excel for cost estimating and engineering functions. FastEst and QuickPen experience is a plus, but not required.
- Proficiency in Bluebeam preferred.
- Ability to interpret computerized cost data, systems, and load calculation programs.
- Ability to deal diplomatically and communicate effectively with internal and external customers at various levels within an organization.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to handle a dynamic, evolving, and fast-paced workload under deadlines.
- Client management skills; able to manage customer relationships, perceptions and expectations.
- Willingness and ability to train and mentor other estimators with lesser experience.
Personal and Professional Attributes:
- Initiative; self-motivated (driven), self-starter.
- Strong analysis, problem-solving and critical thinking skills to provide innovative solutions.
- Professional demeanor and positive attitude.
- Insight; ability to gather and make sense of new information.
Benefits and Perks
- 401(k) plan with a generous company match
- Medical, dental, vision, and Rx drug insurance
- Life and accidental death insurance
- Short and Long-Term Disability insurance
- EAP Resources
- Personal Leave, Paid Holidays, and Bereavement Leave
- Company Vehicle or Car Allowances
- Opportunities for career growth, training, and development
- Tuition reimbursement
- Employee referral incentives
- Scholarship program for employees’ children
- And much more
How to Apply
Apply online at