Location: Cobbs Creek Project in Columbia, VA
Reports to: Quality Control Manager & Assistant Quality Control Manager
Summary of Position: Inspection, observation, monitoring, and reporting of all construction activities to include, but not limited to conventional concrete, roller compacted concrete, formwork, rebar, excavation, compaction, fill, and anchors.
FLSA Status: Salaried/Exempt
About ASI Construction LLC:
ASI Construction LLC is an industry leader in the dam and water resource construction market, providing services worldwide. Our company is a self-performing, heavy-civil contractor that specializes in the construction and rehabilitation of dams (RCC, earthfill, and concrete), hydroelectric and renewable energy facilities, pipelines, tunnel/shaft rehabilitation, storm/sanitary sewer system improvements, and other major water resource projects. ASI is headquartered in Colorado Springs, Colorado. ASI strives to build projects safely, on time, on budget, and to satisfy our clients. ASI personnel have successfully completed numerous award-winning heavy civil construction projects in the water resource field, including more than one-hundred and forty-five dam and dam rehabilitation projects and over thirty-five new RCC dams. Our Company's vision and values include integrity, honesty, safety, teamwork and a passion for what we do. We hire people who thrive on tough work and challenging opportunities.
- Observe and monitor construction operations and equipment to ensure conformance to the plans and specifications.
- Inspection of work for conformance to project plans and specifications.
- Identify issues arising during construction and verifying that deficiencies have been corrected.
- Recording and notifying the Q.C. Manager of problems in a timely basis so that corrections can be made without affect the schedule.
- Inspection of incoming materials for compliance with both the specifications and purchase orders.
- Record inspection or test data from both ASI and subcontractors.
- Complete inspection and observation reports to be turned in on a daily basis to Q.C. Manager.
- Collect or select samples for testing.
- Must be ACI (American Concrete Institute) Field Testing Technician – Grade I certified.
ASI employees must work cooperatively with other employees, and have a good positive attitude. They must also be punctual. Further, this means that you must be ready to work when your shift starts. So, you must arrive at work with enough time prior, to ready yourself for the shift. They should also work safely without presenting a direct threat to self or others.
Essential Ability Requirements for ASI Personnel:
Working in the field at ASI Construction LLC is often physically demanding. The following list describes the minimum ability requirements for field personnel.
- Performing physical activities that require considerable use of your arms and legs and moving your whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, and handling of materials;
- Move heavy objects (94 pounds or more) short distances (20 feet or less);
- Move light objects (less than 94 pounds) long distances (more than 20 feet);
- Work long shifts with non-standard break times;
- Work in a variety of weather conditions with exposure to the elements;
- Learn job-related material primarily through oral instruction and observation. This learning takes place mainly in an on-the-job training setting;
- Must have good hand-eye coordination;
- Must have quick reaction times;
- Must be able to hear adequately enough to be alerted by horns, sirens, shouting, or any other noise that is meant to convey a safety warning;
- If corrective device is required to achieve this level of hearing, the employee must be able to wear PPE without interfering with the corrective device or the required PPE;
- Lift arms above shoulder level (i.e., throws bags into a truck);
- Must have good balance and must not be clumsy;
- Climb ladders or steps to reach objects;
- Must be able to work at heights of up to 100’ or more;
- Must be able to work in confined or enclosed spaces;
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time;
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time;
- Must be able to wear a hard hat, safety glasses, gloves, and safety-toed boots;
- Must be able to walk moderate distances to reach work area (1/2 mile or more);
- Enter the cab of a vehicle that is 3.5 feet (or more) off the ground;
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions;
- Must be committed to contributing to a culture of safety, looking out for yourself and others.
Preferred Qualifications and Training:
Candidate should have extensive knowledge of concrete construction, including plans reading, formwork - installation and removal, reinforcements, embedments, sampling and testing freshly mixed concrete. Also, experience with conveying, placing, consolidation, finishing, joint curing, and protection are a plus. In addition, candidate should have knowledge of earthwork methods and testing.
Must meet at least one of the ACI Concrete Construction Special Inspector Requirements listed below and be able to pass certification:
- A B.S. degree in Civil Engineering, Civil Engineering Technology, Engineering Technology, Construction Engineering or Construction Engineering Technology from a program accredited by ABET (aka Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology), including courses in concrete materials, design or construction), PLUS six months satisfactory work experience, or;
- A B.S. degree in an engineering program PLUS one year of satisfactory work experience, or;
- A Minimum of two years of college or technical school, earning at least 60 credit hours, PLUS two years of satisfactory work experience, or;
- A high school diploma, or equivalent, PLUS a minimum of three years of satisfactory work experience, or;
- Five years of satisfactory work experience.
The work experience must include: Decision making authority and responsibility; Verification of compliance with plans, specifications, and codes; Evaluation of concrete construction in the field; Documentation and reporting of inspection results; and Proficiency in appropriate areas of concrete construction inspection.
At ASI Construction LLC, we are only as good as our people. We offer outstanding benefits and rewards to recruit and retain the best professionals in our industry. When you join the ASI team, your comprehensive benefit package will include:
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance for employees and their dependents
- 401(K) plan with Company Matching Contributions
- Gifted Time Off to include Vacation and Sick time (GTO)
- Paid Holidays per Company Policy
We offer additional competitive benefits that are position and assignment dependent.
Dependent on Experience.