Phoenix Packaging Operations, LLC (PPO) is a Packaging and Containers company located in Dublin, VA and Phoenix, AZ in the United States. PPO is a subsidiary of Grupo Phoenix. Grupo Phoenix is one of the most important packaging companies in the Americas.
Our products target the commercial food packaging, food service and disposable consumer products industries. Our manufacturing locations total eleven production plants: two in Colombia, one in Mexico, five in Venezuela, one in Ecuador and two in the United States.
We have been leaders in Latin America for over 20 years; our award winning packaging innovations and leading brands have fueled our growth and expansion from our original territories to more than 20 different countries including the United States.
Grupo Phoenix is deeply committed to the community, its people, its workforce and the countries where it has presence through each one of its companies, focusing on growth, innovation and sustainability.
The Operator in Training - OPIT is responsible for the set up and operation of machinery designated to shape and form plastic products, while attending to scheduled classroom, practical and online classes designed to provide the knowledge necessary to properly operate the machinery. The OPIT must follow the guidelines of the experienced operators and support technicians who provide On the Job Training.
Essential Job Functions:
Job Qualifications and Requirements:
- Attend all scheduled classes in the training program, either classroom, practical, or online outside of regular working hours.
- Approve tests with a minimum of 80%, understanding that if fail to pass, maximum 2 retake opportunities will be allowed.
- Follow all guidelines of the trainers, experienced operators and support technicians who provide On the Job Training, to ensure proper operation of the machine.
- Complete 500 hours on the job training and present a final theoretical and practical test at the end of the training program.
- Attend to all other training and online classes, and participate in meetings that are mandatory for all employees.
- Ensure safe, legal and quality products through assessment, inspections and verifications of processes at all stages of manufacturing.
- Adjust machine components to regulate speed, pressure and temperatures and amounts dimensions and flow of materials or ingredients.
- Perform quality checks per established procedures and ensure all standards are being met. Examine measure and weigh materials or product to verify conformance to standards using measuring devices such as templates, micrometers or scales.
- Monitor machine operations and observe light and gauges to detect malfunctions.
- Verify that parameters set on the machine are correct for each specific product and material, adjusting when corrections during production runs are necessary.
- Adjust controls to regulate machine functions.
- Review work orders, specifications and instructions to determine materials, ingredients, procedures, components, settings and adjustments.
- Select and install machine components such as dies, molds and cutters, per specifications using hand tools and measuring devices.
- Record and maintain data related to downtime, including amount of time, reason for downtime and actions to correct the problem.
- Keep all waste and scrap levels within standard expectations.
- Record and maintain production data such as meter readings, quantities, types, and dimensions of materials produced.
- Assist inspection packers with packing material, inspecting product and troubleshooting when necessary.
- Notify supervisors when produced materials fail to meet standards.
- Keep work area clean, organized and free of debris to maintain a safe facility.
- Follow all HACCP and good manufacturing practices (GMP’s)
- Follow environmental and safety regulations and acts in compliance with US laws
- Perform other related duties that contribute to the success of the operation as assigned by supervisor.
- Keep and maintain a safe and clean work environment.
- Follow all Safety rules
- Ensure maximum output of machines.
- Assist to training coordinated by HR where participation is needed
- Report all work related incidents
- Work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Must maintain an attitude of safety awareness and responsibility.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Experience operating machinery in a manufacturing environment
- High School Diploma or GED
- Steel toe work boots
- Ability to pass a background check and drug screen
- Basic computer skills
- Understand and follow basic verbal and written instructions
- Effectively communicate information and respond to questions from various levels within the organization
- Possess basic mathematical skills; addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Perform basic visual quality inspections on products
- Maintain the production pace of other team members
- Utilize various equipment as needed to perform duties
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Required to stand for long periods of time – typically 12 hours a day
- May involve some repetitive motions
- May also engage in frequent bending, stooping, squatting, pushing and pulling of materials and material containers
- Must be able to work in various weather and temperature conditions to include extreme heat, humidity and cold
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This position will work in a manufacturing environment / assembly line for the majority of their shift.
- The noise level in the work environment is consistently above 85 decibels when on the production floor.
- During summer months, employee may have to work in temperatures as high as 110 degrees for prolonged periods of time.
- Dust from machine processes is constantly present.
- The employee constantly works near mechanical parts and lift trucks.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or vapors or hazardous products such as degreasers and silicone spray.
- Required to wear steel toed shoes, safety glasses and ear plugs in the manufacturing area.
- Medical Insurance with Wellness Incentives
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life/Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- Short Term Disability
- Long Term Disability
- 50% Gym Membership Reimbursement
- 401(k) with 2% Match
- Accidental Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Hospital Indemnity
- Identify Theft
- Employee Assistance Program