James River Grounds Management, Inc. provides quality landscape management services to corporate clients throughout Virginia.
We believe in helping our employees reach their full potential by providing challenging careers in landscape management where our employees do more, learn more, and achieve more. We provide the structure to ensure success and the flexibility that encourages personal and professional growth at every level. Our team of talented professionals are driven by results and relationships.
We are committed to taking care of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. In order to attract and retain the best employees, we offer competitive pay, comprehensive benefits plan and robust training programs that provide an opportunity for every employee to make a difference regardless of their position.
James River Grounds Management, with multiple branch offices, is set up to offer all landscape services with competent staff that are empowered to make front-line decisions. With this structure, our employees have the benefits of a larger company but with a small business feel.
Position Title: Crew Member I
Crew Member I is responsible for carrying out basic landscape department-related functions safely and efficiently on assigned properties. This position will support the crew to deliver a quality job on time. Crew Member I is an entry-level position designed for individuals with limited or no experience in the landscape industry. They will report to the Crew Leader or Operations Manager.
- Dependable; consistently arrives to work on time, responds to management direction and commits to the required hours for job completion that will vary based on weather/season.
- Performs all job-related tasks safely and efficiently and uses all tools and equipment in accordance with company safety policy.
- Operates mechanized equipment as required, which may include gas-powered sheers, weed eater, stick edger, backpack blower, push mower, wheel barrow, hand tools.
- Performs assigned daily work per department requirements inclusive of: mowing, edging, trimming, planting, fertilizing, watering, detailing ornamental plant material, weed-eating, spraying or pulling weeds, clearing of hard surfaces, tree care, laying sod or masonry materials, digging, raking, and assisting in irrigation or masonry installation.
- Assists in loading and unloading equipment, tools, and supplies on truck.
- Complies with the equipment preventative maintenance program and thoroughly cleans used equipment and stores in designated areas daily.
- Assists in keeping job site, vehicles, trailers, warehouses and offices safe, clean and organized.
- Informs supervisor of problem areas on site, equipment or supply issues, or of any accident or loss.
- Complies with all company policies, procedures and safety requirements, especially in the handling of equipment.
- Works to assure quality and timely completion of all tasks assigned.
- Participates in training programs as required.
- Performs other duties as required.
Education & Experience Qualifications:
- Entry-level to 2 years of experience in landscape basics.
- High school diploma or GED preferred but not required.
Skills & Abilities Qualifications:
- Organized, hardworking, safety conscious, punctual, leads by example, self-motivated, honest, and customer service-driven.
- Effectively communicates with others, with the ability to read and/or comprehend written and verbal instructions/information. Bilingual in English/Spanish is a plus.
- Accountable; demonstrates dependability in attendance and timeliness, and carefully follows directions and instructions provided.
- Is solution-oriented with the ability to apply feedback to improve performance.
- Able to safely work alone and display quality and thoroughness in work product.
- Team-focused; exhibits objectivity and openness to others, mitigates conflict and keeps emotions under control.
- Maintains a positive, responsive and flexible attitude.
- Able to follow plans as shown on a map of property.
- Maintains attention and concentration during dangerous tasks and while using equipment for extended periods of time.
- Ability to interact professionally with all customers, team members, and those from external organizations.
- Must be able to wear PPE as necessary and maintain a professional appearance at all times while abiding by the uniform code.
- Must have transportation to and from the show up location.
- Works outside in various weather conditions that may be hot, cold, wet or turbulent.
- Works in environments with unusually loud noise level.
- Works with and near moving mechanical parts.
- May be exposed to hazardous material, fumes or airborne particles such as gasoline, oil, grease and elements such as herbicide, pesticide or other horticulture-related products.
- Works on uneven terrain for extended periods of time.
- Work may be performed at varying heights above ground.
- May be exposed to nature, i.e. irritating plants and biting or stinging insects.
- May be exposed to dogs and other animals.
- Must have endurance necessary to perform these duties throughout a standard eight- or ten-hour day. Must be able to work long hours and overtime during emergencies (including holidays, weekends, etc. Subject to call out work).
- Must have the ability and endurance to perform tasks for at least 8-hour periods.
- Must understand and demonstrate proper safety procedures, abiding by all OSHA regulations, with the ability to respond to emergency situations in a timely manner.
- Must be able to maintain attention and concentration for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to wear PPE as necessary.
- Must be able to enter and exit a vehicle numerous times a day.
Rarely = less than 10%
Occasionally = up to 33%
Frequently = up to 66%
Continuously = 67% to 100%
Rarely: Crawling, climbing poles, climbing ladders.
Occasionally: Sitting, seeing distant, climbing stairs, lifting over 10lbs to 50lbs.
Frequently: Sense of touch, speaking clearly, climbing on/off truck, reading, hearing – speech range, depth perception, pushing, pulling, balancing, lifting up to 50lbs.
Continuously: Walking, standing, manual dexterity, stooping, range of motion, kneeling, squatting, body twisting, gripping, seeing, reaching, color vision, lifting, carrying, lifting up to 10lbs.
Individuals must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without a reasonable accommodation. Individuals with a disability who desire a reasonable accommodation should contact the ADA Coordinator at 1-800-248-8733, ext. 1339.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and vets.