Rolls-Royce, a world-leading provider of power systems and services for use on land, at sea and in the air, operates in four global markets - civil aerospace, defense aerospace, marine and energy. We continue to invest in core technologies, products, people and capabilities with the objective of broadening and strengthening the product portfolio, improving efficiency and enhancing the environmental performance of its products.
The Machining Technical Specialist position will perform in a critical role within the manufacturing team performing a full range of skilled operation including continuous improvement activities in the machining area. This position will function as an instructor, and coach within their shift. The role requires working closely with the Production Leader and the Working Team Leader and ME to carry out instructions on cell prioritization of work assignments and problem resolution.
Key accountabilities include:
- Sets clear expectations regarding safe work practices. Perform Manufacturing/Operational tasks for which they have been trained consistent with the requirements of the team, statutory and company standards (e.g. Health, Safety, Environment, Rolls-Royce Quality Management System, Rolls-Royce Production System) including the Manufacture and Assembly of components/sub-assemblies/assemblies, limited only by safety, training and authorization/certification
- Work to achieve Process Excellence through the application of process improvement and compliance methodologies to satisfy customer needs and cost reduction targets
- Undertake error recovery for non-routine issues
- Provide enhanced training and support of Team Members on error recovery
- Act as the assessor of training provision and provide final sign off
- Coordinate the work through their area for their shift to ensure progressing priority parts through the appropriate operation
- Responsible for the introduction of new techniques/process changes to other Team Members and ensure comprehension and application.
- Actively participate in design of experiments (DOE) - providing support on the mill/turn machines (including data collection) that Manufacturing Engineering might require in the course of issue investigation, method changes/development
- Carry out any Engineering activity as deemed appropriate under delegated authority
- Serve as point of contact for Engineering on new method introduction
- Serve as point of contact for Engineering to gather data on arising issues
- Undertake unsupervised rework as approved by Engineering
- Point of contact for the maintenance team when managing breakdowns in the machining area on their shift
This position is a 2nd or 3rd shift position dependant on the next phase of production needs.
Rolls-Royce has a broad customer base comprising 600 airlines, 4,000 corporate and utility aircraft and helicopter operators, 160 armed forces, more than 2,000 marine customers including 70 navies, and energy customers in 120 countries. Rolls-Royce is a technology leader, employing 38,000 people in offices, manufacturing and service facilities in 50 countries.
Rolls-Royce is a Military Friendly Employer.
Rolls-Royce is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and a barrier-free employment process.
- High school diploma/ GED
- 7+ years precision machining experience
- Strong communication skills
- High computer proficiency
- Experience with manual and CNC operation on a variety of mills, lathes, grinders and coordinate measuring machines in a production environment and the ability to diagnose complex machining conditions and problems
- 18 months at Team Member level, at Crosspointe facility
- 10+ years precision machining experience
- Journeyman Machinist Certification or completion of a college level precision machining program
- Siemens Controller experience
Base Salary with Bonus, Medical, Dental Vision and 401k with matching